Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Price I Had to Pay Was Greater

Stefanie Reyes was her name and being best friends with each other was an understatement. She was like a sister or a mother to me because of her constant concern. She was only a year older but the way she took care of me made our age difference seem greater. Stefanie and I were best friends for a long period of time and sadly after an incident, our friendship went down the drain.

The summer going into my freshman year, I had quite possibly the best boyfriend. Out of all the boyfriends I have ever had in my life, he was the only one that I regretted breaking up with. Obviously, since I really liked him, I introduced him to all of my friends, including Stefanie. All of my friends seemed to have really liked him and this pleased me. I was excited that my boyfriend and best friends got along.

During this time period, I also had another best friend named Vanessa Castillo. Vanessa and Stefanie, for some idiotic reason, despised each other. This was very difficult on my part. It got to the point where I could not talk about Vanessa to Stefanie and vice versa. It bothered me a lot the fact that two of my best friends were incapable of making peace.

My boyfriend at the time, Barnes, had a best friend named Edgar. Edgar and Stefanie pretty much had something going on. Therefore Edgar’s friends were her friends, including my boyfriend. As my relationship with Barnes continued, I began to notice something. I noticed that Stefanie and Barnes were spending a whole lot of time talking on the phone. It was to the point where Stefanie would hang up on me to talk to my boyfriend. This angered me very much and also made me kind of jealous. I never expressed my feelings about this situation solely because I knew that Stefanie was my best friend and I hoped that she would never do anything to hurt me.

One night, I received a phone call from my best friend Vanessa. She was acting shady so I became curious and told her to tell me what ever was on her mind. She refused and refused to tell me until I said “if you loved me, you would.” She immediately became nervous and tried really hard to refrain from telling me. I eventually got it out of her, and in the end I wish that I never did. Vanessa told me that a reliable source told her that Stefanie was seen flirting and making out with my boyfriend Barnes. My first reaction was bursting out into tears. That was the very first time in my life I ever felt betrayed by a friend and it was unfathomable how angry I felt.

After hanging up with Vanessa, I called Stefanie and basically said the meanest things one can possibly think of. I said every bad word and every insulting thing. She had absolutely no clue what I was talking about. I accused her of being a bad best friend, and on top of that I accused her of hooking up with my boyfriend. Apparently, Vanessa heard the story wrong and it was Edgar who was seen kissing and flirting with Stefanie. After telling me her side of the story, Stefanie busted out into tears and hung up the phone. I called back a million times with the intentions of apologizing. I left numerous voicemails, comments on myspace, and instant messages. She never replied back.

No comments: