Wednesday, March 25, 2009

P&P #5 Chpts 21-1

“I am not romantic, you know. I never was. I ask only a comfortable home; and, considering Mr. Collin’s character, connection, and situation in life, I am convinced that my chance of happiness with him is as fair as most people can boast on entering the marriage state” (125).

Sounds familiar? With the quote above, Charlotte explains to Elizabeth why she is marrying Mr. Collins. Nowhere in her explanation does she bring up love or even him, besides the fact that marrying Mr. Collins will be beneficial to her. Where have we heard this before? When Mr. Collins was proposing to Elizabeth, nowhere did he mention Elizabeth: “first, that I think it a right thing for every clergyman […] secondly, that I am convinced it will add very greatly to my happiness […] thirdly, […] it is the particular advice and recommendation of the very noble lady whom I have the honour of calling patroness” (105). Also, we find out that Mr. Collins is moving, something that Mr. Bennet is very pleased about while Mrs. Bennet is highly upset with.

How does Jane feel about Caroline’s letter to her?
a. Nervous
b. Excited
c. Worried
d. Both a and c
e. None of the above

No comments: