Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Huck Dialogue

Dora Ocampo

AP U.S. English 11 – Mr. George

March 10, 2009

 

Huck

            Pap ain’t never taught me nothing. Nothing besides the fact to let people have their own way. When I done saw what was going on between that girl and boy, I was shocked. Never in my life had I seen somethin’ of this sort. I hung around for a lil’ bit, decided to take a closer look. Then I heard leaves crumpling up and footsteps near me. I reckoned it was Jim, but when I turned around, it was Pap.

            “What the hell is wrong with you boy?”  said Pap. I was too afraid to answer. Pap looked at me up and down, and laughed at me. I ain’t know why, but I didn’t say anything still. “Ain’t so much better’n your father now huh? Atleast I know you ain’t fooling around that school anymore. I bet you is wondering what them people doing over there.”

            I stayed quite, figured it were for the best. I says to myself, if I say something and Pap thinks its smart, I’d catch a beatin’. And I ain’t had one in so long that I don’t never want another one again. I let Pap tell me what was going on, they was having something called sex, He ain’t do that good of a job at explaining though, all he said was that I was made this way. I reckoned he was just drunk. Pap kept talking, mumbling and all, and he ain’t never stopped. Didn’t look like he was gon’ be done talking for another fifteen minutes. I says to myself, maybe I should make a run for it. You know, meet back up with Jim, and then go far away so that Pap will never find me again. 

No comments: