Monday, March 2, 2009

Huck Finn 3: 47-66

“When it was dark I set by my camp fire smoking, and feeling pretty satisfied; but by-and-by it got sort of lonesome” (49).


Since the beginning of the novel, Huck has been feeling alone, even though in reality he wasn’t: “I felt so lonesome I most wished I was dead” (11), and he has continued to feel alone up to this point. It seemed as if something was missing in Huck’s life, and maybe it was a little bit of variety. Huck has been surrounded by the same people that he never felt close or connected to them. Miss Watson tried to get close to Huck, but Huck never really allowed her too. Huck never was able to trust in his pap, considering the fact that he was drunk all the time. I think that Huck will no longer be alone after finding Jim on the island, for Jim is different in all aspects.

“I said I wouldn’t, and I’ll stick to it. Honest injun I will” (53).


Tom Sawyer’s values of loyalty and integrity have rubbed off on Huck. I think that with the quote above, a lasting friendship has erupted between Huck and Jim. Following this quote, Jim confesses to Huck everything that has happened that lead to his escape from Miss Watson. Considering the fact that Jim was black and Huck was white, this was a very big risk for Jim to take, but there was trust between them.

Brash


–adjective Also, brashy.
1. impertinent; impudent; tactless: a brash young man.

2. hasty; rash; impetuous.

“When I got to camp I warn’t feeling very brash” (50).

Loll
–verb (used with object)
3. to allow to hang, droop, or dangle.

“we lolled on the grass and eat it smoking hot” (53).

No comments: