Monday, December 1, 2008

Letter 3: Hale to Proctor

John Proctor,

My sincerest apologies for the outcome of these trials. Tis not an outcome that was expected nor deserved, especially not to a man like yourself. A man of honesty and integrity is not worthy of the unjust laws that Danforth put forth. You most certainly deserve nothing less than the best.


Tis not easy for a man to admit to treachery, but you did. That alone was a noble act that no other man would do for fear that they would be blackening their own name. This was not of concern to you, which is why I tip my hat in respect to your genuine character.

One thing that I would like you to be aware of, is the fact that I had nothing to do with the court, nothing to do with the sentencing of your hanging and nothing to do with you being put in jail. Those were matters way out of my hands. I hope to believe that you know that if I were with the court, I would not allow any of this to happen to you. If I could save anyone from hanging, it would be you that I choose. There is nothing that I have witnessed that would lead me to believe that you have associated yourself with the devil. You and your wife are both Christians, with Christian values and morals, and it is unfair that your life end this way.

The crowd will applause as you walk off that plank, and I will stand there quietly, in mourning. May your soul reach heaven and may you spend eternity with the Heavenly Father up above.

Sincerely,

Hale

No comments: