Monday, December 1, 2008

Letter 2: Mrs. Putnam to Tituba

Dear Tituba,

It is understandable if you are shocked with this letter I write. Tis not normal for a woman of my reputation to write a letter to a servant sent from Barbados, but there is a favor that I must beg of you. It has been said that conjuring spirits in your homeland is acceptable and common. Tis the opposite here in Salem, which is why this letter must be kept a secret. Not a single soul may be aware of this letter. If word gets out I will be forced to shift the blame on you.

I am not sure if you are aware of my situation. I have given birth to seven children. Six of them died before they were a day old. This is very peculiar to me. How can it be possible that six children die the night of their birth? I have not been able to reach a possible answer. I do suspect one thing though, that the deaths of my children were works of the Devil.

This is where you come in. I shall send the only child of mine that lives to you, Ruth. With Ruth you will conjure spirits and figure out the cause of these deaths. Keep in mind, that if anything happens to my dearest Ruth, it will be you that suffer the consequences. If you even attempt to tell anyone of this, I will accuse you of lies. Do not believe me? Who do you think anyone in this town would believe? A servant or I? Of course it’d be I.

Ruth shall go over to the house in which you serve two days from today, and ask Parris if it be alright that I borrow you for a moment. In that time, you and Ruth will head out the forest, where the conjuring of spirits will take place.

Do Not Reply,

Mrs. Putnam

No comments: