Monday, December 1, 2008

Letter 1: Elizabeth to Proctor

Dearest Proctor,

Tis like a dream that I am living, better yet a nightmare. I hath witnessed the love of my life lust for another woman. A woman who I trusted inside of my house, with my children, and regrettably with my husband. TO HELL WITH ABIGAIL WILLIAMS! It is she who should be blamed for your hanging, not I. My only intention was to save your name, not to cause harm. Out of all people, you should know best that I do not speak lies. This time was different. I hath spoken with falsity as an attempt to save your life. It resulted that my false words were the cause of your death.

Darling, before you made your decision, you posed a question. Here is my answer, I forgive you. Aye, I forgive thee for everything, for the affair and for lying to Danforth. After you confessed the truth, I realized that the man I married was undoubtedly genuine. Most woman of Salem would not dare show their face after all of the events that took place. Tis not the case with I. I look at thee with pride, not with anger or with hatred. You have proven to me your sincerity and honesty through admitting the truth when the easy way out was to lie.

Tis before you hang that I write this letter. Everyone shouts at me, telling me to convince you to lie, but I will not. You have lived a noble life and will die an honest man. There is one thing that I feel necessary for you to know and want you to keep in mind as you stand there; my love for you is undefined. There are no words to express my emotions towards you. You have given me wonderful children, children that I cherish and no other man can amount to your goodness.

Love Always & Forever,

Elizabeth Proctor

No comments: