Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dorian Gray Chpt 4

“You filled me with a wild desire to know everything about life. For days after I met you, something seemed to throb in my veins” (Wilde 52).

What Basil was afraid would happen is happening, and what Lord Henry wanted to happen is happening. The quote above is a description of the influence that Lord Henry has over Dorian Gray and his life. In the paragraph following this quote, Dorian describes how he used to view life and then describes how Lord Henry taught him to look at life. Dorian even quotes things that Lord Henry has previously said: “I felt that this grey, monstrous London of ours, with its myriads of people, its sordid sinners, and its splendid sins, as you once phrased” (52). If Lord Henry has the type of influence on Dorian that Basil suspects, this is going to lead to something disastrous: “You have a curious influence over me” (56).

“That is the reason, I suppose, that you never dine with me now. I thought you must have some curious romance on hand. You have; but it is not quite what I expected” (58).

This quote above is an example of the homosexual undertone given by author Oscar Wilde. Previously before this quote, Dorian Gray is explaining to Lord Henry his love and desire for Sibyl Vane. Dorian also describes the influence that Sibyl has on his life: “Sibyl is the only thing I care about […] from her little head to her little feet, she is absolutely and entirely divine” (58). This was a sort of reality check to Lord Henry because he is realizing that being Dorian’s inspiration is not going to be as easy as he expected. As for the homosexual undertone, Lord Henry is eluding to the fact that he is somewhat jealous of this relationship forming between Dorian and Sibyl.

Aphorism

–noun
a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation, as “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely” (Lord Acton).


“That is one of your aphorisms” (51).

Labyrinth

–noun
1. an intricate combination of paths or passages in which it is difficult to find one's way or to reach the exit.
2. a maze of paths bordered by high hedges, as in a park or garden, for the amusement of those who search for a way out.

“but I went out and wandered eastward, soon losing my way in a labyrinth of grimy streets and black, grassless squares” (52).



No comments: