Thursday, November 20, 2008

Crucible HW [p. 128-145]

Hale: "You know, do you not, that I have no connection with the court? She seems to doubt it. I come of my own, Goody Proctor. I would save your husband's life, for if he is taken I count myself his murderer. (131).

Reverend Hale, in this quote, begs and attempts to convince Elizabeth that he takes no part in the sentencing of her husband, John Proctor. Hale is doing what he was accused of doing earlier in the play, washing his hands from sin: "Pontius Pilate! God will not let you wash your hands of this!" (77). Through oral tradition and Biblical references, we know that when Jesus was condemned to death by the crowd, Pontius Pilate washed his hands, meaning that he had no part in His condemning. Hale tries to do the same, but it is not effective since he was the one who put the idea of witchcraft into the minds of others.

Proctor: "Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name! (143).


John Proctor, through out the entire play, has been genuine, honest, and sincere about everything. The most surprising and meaningful aspect of this is that Proctor has remained honest although his honesty has not brought him the results that he deserves. Prior to this quote, we see Proctor being tempted to be dishonest and he actually starts off to tell lies. Lies about him actually encountering the Devil, but Proctor chooses to remain true to his wife, Elizabeth. Like John, Elizabeth is also a very honest person: "In her life, sir, she have never lied (111). Honesty seems to be key in their relationship, which is the only reason why Proctor could not go through with it.

Was Proctor's hanging a wake up call for Danforth that everyone else was confessing only to save their lives?

Was Proctor saying that "God is dead" all apart of a plan? A plan where he goes against God, then confesses to it so save him of his life?

No comments: